Monday, August 22, 2016

Numidian Spearmen

I painted eight of the spearmen in this unit a couple of years ago.  Just this past weekend I finished the four command figures to match this unit.  All of the figures are by Crusader miniatures.  I am trying to make sure that every one of my units in the Carthaginian army have at least a leader figure.  So now this unit of skirmishers is twelve men strong.  Enjoy!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Numidian Light Horse

Earlier this month I completed this unit of Numidian Light Horse.  The figures are from Crusader Miniatures.  I am nearing "completion" of my Carthaginian army!  It is pretty exciting to see that particular lead pile start to dwindle down.  I like how these guys turned out.  The skin tone is perhaps a shade darker than I intended, but it's okay with me.  I am planning to add command figures to every unit in this army so that I can use them for playing "War & Conquest".  Enjoy the photos, there will be more soon.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Punic Cavalry

Recently I have been working on my Carthaginian army.  I started collecting Romans and Carthaginians back in 1996.  In 1999 I published the Punic War scenario book "Hannibal Ad Portas".  Back in those days all of my figures were 25mm Ral Partha miniatures.  By today's standards those figures are puny.  They look like little boys.  So several years ago I started re-doing both of those armies using 28mm figures that look awesome!  The Punic army is nearly complete, this past month I finished my Balearic slingers and then started and finished this unit of Carthaginian Heavy Cavalry from Crusader Miniatures.  Enough talk, here is the proof!

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Wars of the Roses retinue archers

Here are a few photos of a small group of archers I just finished.  The minis are from Front Rank.  My 13 year old son is also painting some of these figures and I hope to post some of his work soon!  These guys are not painted to be any specific lord's troops, they are just intended to invoke the period.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

More Soviets!!!

This group got painted considerably faster than the last batch. Here are a few photos of them. Not the best photos, but... at least they are posted.
Maxim HMG

Maxim HMG

ATR team (PTRD-41)

ATR team (PTRD-41)

Two LMG teams and two officers

Two LMG teams and two officers

So there you go!  After painting 40 Russians in a row I am going to take a little break from the eastern front.  Next project is a large group of US Army rifles plus some support.

Friday, March 25, 2016

WWII Soviets: Finished

I know, it's been what a year and a half since my last post about these guys?  So what happened?  Lots of stuff.  Work, family, chickens, turkeys, pigs, travel, home repairs, name it.  But...  Finally...  I did complete these guys, and here is the evidence.

Since the last post I added eyes and hair.  For eyes, I paint the eye socket white and then using some dark brown paint I put a tiny spot in one corner of the eye socket.  For the other eye, I match the direction the figure is now looking - so both eyes will look left or right.  If you put the spot right in the center you get a bug-eyed zombie kind of look.  For hair I generally use brown ink and add one or two glazes of ink.

Next, I use bronze paint to pick out all of the buttons and buckles.  Then use gun metal silver to pick out all of the rifle hardware and other small metal bits on the figure.

That just leaves the base.  I paint the base dark brown and dry brush it with a medium brown and then a mudstone-gray very lightly.  lastly I paint the edge of the base a solid flat color to denote which army the figure belongs to.  In this case I use a Squad Leader Russian brown color.  And there you go! Komplejt!