I recently made a few swampy hex tiles to fit my 3" hex mat. I decided to make them totally flat so that it would be easier to put figures on top of them. Here are some pictures.
Meanwhile, painting continues for the 44th NY infantry. I've have finished the block colors and then I did my dirt-glaze layer. Dirt glaze is similar to "the dip" method. The difference is that I use matte acrylic medium mixed with some brown and black ink. This stuff has the consistency of acrylic paint, but it dries to be a very transparent dingy color. I use a brush to apply a thin coat all over the model except for the skin, because I have already shaded the flesh areas. The dirt glaze naturally fills recesses in the model and it dries nicely. Sorry for the poor picture.